Learn to Carve! Not wiggle.
Too many people view the size of their board, or lack thereof, as a badge of their ability in the water.
The problem is that while a smaller board is, in theory, easier to turn than bigger one, it is also easier to force bad technique on, which long term will
hold you back far more than those extra 10 litres ever could.
A board that is too small will paddle slow, catch waves late, bog down in turns, and generally make your surfing look terrible.
A board that is too big on the other hand, has only one downside; if your technique is poor, you can’t cheat and try to torque the board round with your upper body.
Smaller boards let you trim turns more easily, which can fool you into thinking your carving turns better but learning to carve turns is actually harder on a low volume board because you have less speed.
Surfing longer boards after an injury a few years ago, did more for my surfing than anything else, as it forced me to re-evaluate how I was using my body, and what I needed to change.
Learn to carve – not to wiggle! Join one of my Intermediate classes and see your surfing improve.
Advanced Surfing Lessons Perth
Our Level 2 Intermediate Surfing Lessons are designed for those surfers who love surfing with us on a regular basis. Also for those surfers who want to surf their own surfboard to catch green waves consistently learning how to read waves.
We treat all our students as individuals, as we all need to work on our own specific surfing skills.
Intermediate Surfing Lessons Perth and Intermediate Surf Courses are valid for 6 months from the date of purchase. They are extremely flexible—you pick and choose the days and times that you want to do your lessons (subject to availability).
Once a week, once a month, or a few days in a row—it’s completely up to you!
Level 2 Intermediate Surf Lessons Outline:
- Reading waves. So you don’t just sit out the back like a beginner! While everyone else catches waves…
- Continue to work on your consistency catching and riding unbroken waves.
- More practice on your forehand and backhand bottom turns, the most important turn is a good bottom turn; this sets up your next turn.
- We will provide a board to suit the conditions if your surfboard is to small or to big for the day.
- Keep working on your duck dives and turtle rolls. Never throw your surfboard and dive under a wave again.
- We will teach you the ‘STOKE” – love of surfing so that you can confidently say “I am a SURFER! and I will surf for the rest of my life”
- We have regular customers who surf with us on most weekends because they love what we do…which is have heaps of fun!